The Beat Crave published recently published their list of the top 5 most overused animals names of indie rock. They list the bird, wolf, bear, horse and deer as the top – citing bands like deerhoof, band of horses, panda bear, wolf parade and birds of tokyo. This post got me thinking of these were the top animals in general – or is this just indie rock. So I grabbed myself a copy of WordNet, along with JAWS (the Java API for Wordnet searching) and the 20K most popular artists names from Last.fm, and wrote a bit of code to find out.
Here are my results of the most popular animals of music:
- The Dog – with 14 bands including Temple of the Dog, Three Dog Night, Dog eat Dog, The Black Dog.
- The Wolf – with 11 bands such Wolf, Wolf Parade, and Sea Wolf .
- The Tiger with 10 bands including Tiger, Tiger Army and Timid Tiger
- The Bear with 10 bands like Minus the Bear, Grizzly Bear, and Panda Bear.
- The Cat with 9 artists like The Cat Empire, Space Cat and Super Cat
So it looks like there’s some overlap between Beat Crave’s list of the top 5 most overused animal names of indie rock – we see ‘wolf’ and ‘bear’ on both our lists, but for our analysis, ‘dog’, ‘tiger’ and ‘cat’ are used quite a bit more often than ‘deer’, ‘bird’ and ‘horse’.
Using WordNet is fun (and the JAWS library makes it incredibly easy to use). Here are some more artist name facts:
Most popular colors:
- Black (94)
- Blue (52)
- Brown (40) – but these are mostly names
- Red (36)
- White (36)
Most popular moods/feelings:
- Love (44)
- Joy (10)
- Hate (9)
- Terror ( 8 )
- Fear ( 8 )
Most popular fruit:
- Lemon (10)
- Cherry (7)
- Strawberry (4)
- Banana (3)
- Lime (3)
Perhaps one of my favorite band memes is to add a ‘head’ suffix to a word such as for bands like Radiohead, Buckethead, Zebrahead, The Lemonheads, Mushroomhead, etc.