There are a lot of music tech companies working to create new ways for people to engage with music. Lots of these companies are also giving back to the world by making their source code available. Here are the top music tech companies who have made significant open source contributions (in alphabetical order). Criteria to be on this list: The organization must be primarily a music company (sorry, google and twitter) that has participated in a Music Hack Day and must have at least three 10-star or more github projects. If I’ve missed anyone, please let me know.
Last.fm – 23 public repos. Top Projects:
- lastfm-deskiop – 166 stars – The official Last.fm desktop application suite
- Fingerprinter – 160 stars – the official repository for the last.fm fingerprint library.
- libmoost – 122 stars – Last.fm’s collection of C++ utility libraries
Rdio – 31 public repos. Top projects:
- Vernacular – 95 stars – a localization tool for developers. It currently is focused on providing a unified localization system for MonoTouch, Mono for Android, and Windows Phone.
- rdio-simple – 83 stars – a set of simple clients libraries for Rdio’s web API.
SongKick – 52 public repos – Top Projects
- oauth2-provider – 334 stars – Simple OAuth 2.0 provider toolkit
- transport – 40 stars – A transport layer abstraction for talking to service APIs
- aspec – 10 stars – a testing language for API external surfaces.
SoundCloud – 123 public repos – Top projects:
- lhm – 438 stars – Online MySQL schema migrations
- soundcloud-custom-player – 395 stars – SoundCloud Custom Player as a jQuery plugin
- areweplayingyet – 134 stars – html5 audio benchmarks
Spotify – 28 public repos – Top projects:
- luigi – 682 stars – Luigi is a Python module that helps you build complex pipelines of batch jobs. It handles dependency resolution, workflow management, visualization etc. It also comes with Hadoop support built in.
- cocoalibspotify – 425 stars – A Cocoa wrapper for libpotify
- sparkey – 161 stars – Sparkey is a simple constant key/value storage library.
The Echo Nest – 42 public repos. Top Projects:
- Echoprint-codegen – 323 stars – Echoprint is an open source music fingerprint and resolving framework powered by the The Echo Nest.
- pyechonest – 258 stars – Pyechonest is an open source Python library for the Echo Nest API. With Pyechonest you have Python access to the entire set of API methods.
- Echoprint-server – 212 stars – the server component for Echoprint – an open source music fingerprint and resolving framework powered by the The Echo Nest.
A few companies / organizations have only one frequently starred repos, but since it is their entire source code, it seems worth mentioning.
- MuseScore – 135 stars – MuseScore is a open source and free music notation software
- Tomahawk-player – 445 stars – Tomahawk, the social music player app
Criteria to be on this list: The organization must be primarily a music company (sorry, google and twitter) that has participated in a Music Hack Day and must have at least three 10-star or more github projects. If I’ve missed anyone, please let me know.
#1 by J Herskowitz (@jherskowitz) on September 3, 2013 - 8:50 am
What if everything is in one giant repo?
Tomahawk has 444 stars. https://github.com/tomahawk-player/tomahawk